Leadership for Shutdowns, Turnarounds and Outages
Developed by Joel Levitt, acclaimed author and speaker on the topic of maintenance management.
This course is delivered as part of our Shutdown, Turnaround and Outage Competency Improvement Program
Leading a strategic outage combines careful planning and effective leadership that motivates and empowers. To effectively lead heavy maintenance environments during power plant shutdowns or refinery refits, you must balance the demanding needs of large maintenance jobs while motivating teams in a focused, deadline-driven environment.
This two-day program focuses on the people and processes of planned outages and teaches methods to deal with the everyday situations of shutdown leadership. The methods come from a variety of fields, including engineering, psychology, sociology, mathematics and organizational development. You will learn techniques to motivate teams and sustain morale during a planned outage. You will gain skills to navigate difficult situations and people, make effective decisions on resources, master time management, improve communication with diverse teams and handle the legal side to shutdowns. You will leave the class prepared to lead shutdown crews to increased productivity and performance during your next strategic outage.
In This Training, Learn How To:
- List interpersonal and management skills critical to effective shutdown leadership
- Assess your leadership and decision making style and determine how to apply to individual situations
- Describe a five-step method to cope with difficult situations and people
- Practice cross-cultural, verbal and non-verbal communication techniques
- Summarize guidelines for making good short-term and long-term decisions
- Distinguish between tasks appropriate to delegate and those that are not
- Assess your current use of time and select actions to improve time management
- Develop a personal action plan to increase productivity by targeting specific improvements in interpersonal and management skills
Who Should Attend Training
People in the following roles should participate in this training:
- Maintenance Managers
- Shutdown/Outage Team Members:
- Project Managers
- Outage Planners
- Project Engineers
- Managers responsible for shutdowns
- Site Personnel with potential to lead and manage future outages
Available as a Private Class
Your training needs are unique. Unique needs may require customized, on-site training. Learn from practicing reliability professionals – on your site – at a time convenient for you – tailored for your environment. For more information please contact Dan Anderson at 800-556-9589 or education@LCE.com.
Each course includes a comprehensive active learning manual. All students completing a class at the Life Cycle Institute will receive a certificate of completion awarding CEU’s.
For More Information on Shutdown, Turnaround and Outage Training
800-556-9589 | education@LCE.com